We really are getting used to the new time schedule, (finally!) as we all slept 10 hours last night! We left Cantwell at 10 AM and headed south on the Parks Highway. Today we drove through a lot of pine forest with the Alaska Range in the background. Those mountains are so huge and vast!
 |
We stopped at Denali View South, part of Denali State Park, to see if just maybe the mountain would be out. But it wasn't!😞 They had a viewing deck with some viewing lenses, and interpretive plaques. |
 |
Here is a diagram of how it would look on a day when the mountain is visible. And it would extend far above the mountains you can see in this picture, in the distance. Denali means "the big one" .
We stopped for gas, at a little wayside shop, and Barb was getting a few things out for lunch when we spied a Subway! So we made a quick change of plans (as we have done quite a bit on this trip!) and went in for subs. There we met a Mennonite family from Montana, the Schmuckers. & 7 children.... It was fun to talk to them while we waited in line. They are here visiting a brother and his family who ,live in Wasilla. |
 |
And then we arrived in Houston! Alaska, that is! We stopped for ice cream cones! |

I think Bsrb is either sneezing here (which she does a lot of)
, or cracking up at how I look in my broken glasses! |
| When I woke up in the morning, my glasses were broken. I had them on the floor beside my bed (which is almost on the floor) and they must have gotten smashed under the bed, or else someone stepped on them in the night without knowing it. How it happened wasn't all that important (Hey! Things happen!) but we were concerned about getting them replaced. Providentially , we were coming into Anchorage today, the very best place in all the state to find new glasses quickly! We found a Lenscrafters. I told them I wanted new frames. ( much quicker (and cheaper)than getting an eye exam, new prescription, and then waiting for new glasses to be made). Now my old glasses were 5-6 years old, and that style is no longer around. However, they had ONE pair that my lenses would fit into, (and I even liked them!) and in 30 minutes we were out of the store, all fixed up! Thank you Jesus!! He takes such GOOD care of us!! |


The Alaska Range accompanied us all the way to Anchorage!
The clouds were lower than the mountain tops!
Several of us had gift cards for Olive Garden, so that is where we went for supper! It was delicious, as usual, and afterward we went across the street to Costco for a few things.(Marie is a member)
 |
Now here is something we do not see in our Lancaster Costco!
We got a campsite at Gold Nugget RV Park in Anchorage . It was the end of another Great day!! |
What a perfect time and place for your glasses to break, LOL!! Your new frames look great! I truly never pictured all those familiar stores and restaurants in Alaska. I guess I just imagined fishing cabins like in movies I have seen, LOL!
ReplyDeleteWe have a friend here in State College who grew up in Homer, AK. His folks still live there. Looks like that's pretty far south of Anchorage.
ReplyDeletewhen you mentioned wasilla, it sounded familiar. i soon realized that 2 indigenous families who are part of pleasant hill church of the brethren, my childhood church, live there. do you happen to know if the mennonite man's brother was either rodney hoover or titus glass? i couldn't pass up the opportunity to play the mennonite game w/ you! =) btw, thoroughly enjoying your trip w/ you!
ReplyDelete