Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Saturday-July 22- Day 32-To Prince George

We awoke this morning to a gentle falling rain. When I opened the door to peek out, I saw this view of  the freshly washed earth!

We do like our creature comforts such as electricity, but sometimes we do without for the sake of a nice place to sleep!  And when that happens, this is the way we make our morning coffee. (Pour boiling water through the filter)
 Gotta have our coffee!!

 This was our second pot for  this morning...
one pot to drink, one for the road.
Today as we continued our way south on the Cassiar Highway, and then east on the Yellowhead highway, we saw a number of lumber mills.  We passed by MANY trees today......some standing tall, vibrant, and verdant, and some laying on their sides, waiting for a new assignmenT.

We also passed a sign that said
"Wildlife Corridor....Drive with Caution"
Often times when we see a bear, it is way far in front of us along the road, and often moving, so that it disappears into the bushes before we all see it. Just like the above picture.
But then sometimes we see them and they stay there until we get to them.  Like the below pic.

When we saw this mama bear and her baby bear, they were far ahead. We looked and thought they were crows.  (It has happened often that we see something black in the distance and it turns out to be just a crow!๐Ÿ˜) But as we got closer, we realized we had hit the jackpot! Thank you, Lord!  We love to see His creatures!
The mama was just turning to go into the bushes as Marie quickly put down her window and I snapped the picture!
Isn't that baby bear adorable?

As we came through Smithers, we wanted to find a bakery, so google led us to Paul's Bakery. The street we wanted was closed because of  a street fair, but Marie drove that RV around several blocks until we found it!
 You should see her do u-ies with this 32 foot beast! 
We stopped at a roadside rest area today around 2 PM for lunch.
We lit the oven and made lasagna, and garlic bread, and had salad to go with it. And we shared one apple fritter for dessert. (Hence, the empty spot in the box!)  Delicious!

As we drove east through British Columbia,
 we passed a lot of hay farms, and a few cattle farms.



And, as usual, much beautiful scenery!!


We have a lot of fun and do a lot of laughing!
♫The poochy lip will get you if you don't watch out....♫๐Ÿ˜
The sky was beautiful as it was getting ready to rain.  We had a heavy shower, which we were so glad for!  There is nothing like a good rain to clean off the dried carcasses of the many bugs!

After 415 miles we arrived at our destination for today.
We had a reservation for tonight at a campground south of town,, but first we wanted a little treat.
Today was free root beer day at A & W. We had passed several and decided if there was an A & W in Prince George, we would  stop for some.  And there was, and we did!



And we also found a Dairy Queen!  It had been about four hours since our lasagna dinner, so we decided to have dessert for supper.  
The streets around there were just a little crazy, and we got turned in the wrong direction, so we thought Miss GPS would get us out of town. Well!! she took us about 3-4 miles, through mostly residential neighborhoods until we finally found ourselves on the right way on the right road! We definitely got to see the real Prince George!  
And then it was starting to rain, and we saw this lovely rainbow....
always a special reminder of God's promise to His people.....
 
Back of the clouds, the sun is always shining!


We arrived at this campground around 7:30.  It is run by a Christian family from Taiwan.  I asked how they got their name, and they said it is named after their mother.
Their last name is Yeh. We again got the last site!  The family across from us is here because they had to evacuate because of the forest fires. We were told there are 7000 evacuees here in Prince George because of the fires in central BC.
The rains have given us that wonderful outdoor woodsy smell, which I love!  

6 comments:

  1. I am enjoying your lovely photos and posts, even though I don't always comment. Thank you for taking us along with you on this incredible journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good eats and good scenery! How sad that so many have been displaced by forest fires. So I checked the map to see where you are (were). So eager to see what route you are taking as you travel east.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prince George. I have a friend there (and have visited her there some years ago) She is now a Senior and living in a Senior's Home there. We play Scrabble online and have been doing that for a number of years. Met her in Red Lake Ontario, also quite a number of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would I know her,Mary? Do you remember Ruby from the children's home in 1970? She later worked at Poplar Hill. I lost contact with her, but the last I knew she was in McBride. When John and I were in Alaska in 1997 we looked her up and visited for a short time that's the last I had contact with her.

      Delete
    2. Her name is Beatie Benner but she was generally at Deer Lake and also Stormer Lake, along with Wayne Shenks. If you ever met her it would have been very much by chance. She is 80 by now I believe. Ruby from the Children's Home I don't seem to recall. There was a Ruby Miller later but she is married to Maynard Miller from Michigan or Iowa. Have a good day travelling. Sure do enjoy your pics and journal

      Delete
    3. I remember the name but I a quite sure I never met her . And I do not remember Ruby's last name. I roomed with her at the children's home

      Delete