| Here we are! From my scrapbook June 12,1997. Glacier Dinner Cruise out of Seward, AK! |
There are 4 of us going, including two more ladies whose husbands also recently went on to Glory. It is an interesting story how God led us together! Read on....
In the middle of January, one evening I went to visit some friends from church, Beryl and Marie Moser.
God had brought them to my mind to ask to go along to Alaska. Beryl had a personality very much like John, and Marie and I were good friends. AND (important to me) they both had years of bus driving experience! Marie drove school bus for almost 30 years, and after retirement, Beryl and Marie drove coach for Mellards. And since I had NO experience with driving a large vehicle (but I'm not too old to learn!) I was glad to know they could drive a motorhome without a problem!
That evening I started out with a question, "Would you like to go along to Alaska with Steve and I this summer?" I then told them the back story and possible plans. Two weeks later, Marie called me. She said they had prayed about it and spoke with their children, who all encouraged them to go. So, she said they decided they want to go, but before she can give me a final answer, Beryl had a doctor appointment the next Monday for a persistent cough. Several weeks later he was diagnosed with bilateral stage four lung cancer, and five weeks after that diagnosis, God called him home to his reward. It went so quickly......we were all shocked and saddened!
That was in April. I thought I was back to square one with planning. I was asking God if this is a closed door? Should I try to find someone else? And who?
And then one day Marie said to me, "Let's go to Alaska!" I was surprised, but very happy she still considered going! But then later she changed her mind, and said we need an able-bodied man to go along! And if I could find an able bodied man to go along to help, she MIGHT consider it! My light-hearted reply? "Marie! What able bodied man would travel for weeks with 2 widows? 🌝" (Steve had previously asked several of his guy friends, (who would have been the age of our sons, and comfortable for us to travel with) but they all have jobs that they cannot take off for 6 weeks.)
At that point, I knew Marie was out of the picture regarding the trip. So I came home from church that morning, again asking God if this is a closed door? I was disappointed, but open to the possibility that the trip was not going to happen. Two days later on Tuesday afternoon Marie called me and told me she wants to go to Alaska! She had been with her family that Sunday and they encouraged her to go. She also had been praying about it, unbeknownst to me. And , in the next sentence she said she found someone else to go along! (However, it was not a man, thankfully!🌝) She had been at work, and had lunch with Barb Martin, who had lost her husband in November. Barb and Marie had been good friends in their younger days. Barb told Marie that day at lunch that she would like to do things together sometimes. And Marie replied, "Would you like to go to Alaska this summer?" (Marie told me later that she felt a strong sense in her spirit to ask her, although maybe she should have asked me first!)
And that is how we 4 became a travel team!! (Of coarse, Barb did some praying and talked to her family too!) I had never met Barb before, but she is a wonderful addition to our team!! We quickly became friends! And the interesting thing is that I came to find out that Barb's one daughter is a good friend of my daughter-in-law Melanie, and her other daughter and family lived across the street from Ernie and Sherri awhile ago, and they are also friends! It truly is a small world!
My family has been so helpful in helping me find a reliable motor home that will be our "Home away from home" for 6-7 weeks.
We four have had several meetings to talk and plan. I found out that Barb is a seasoned camper, with over 20 years of experience! Marie never camped, and my little bit of experience goes way back to long weekends camping at Spruce Lake with the family in the '90's. So.....Marie is the experienced driver, Barb the experienced camper, and I am the one researching and planning the details of the trip, which I love to do! Steve might feel a bit hen-pecked til it is all said and done, but he is such a good sport, I think he will put up with us and enjoy the ride! In future posts I will write about "we" instead of "I", and we will be known as MEBS. Marie-Elaine-Barb-Steve.
So that is the back-story of our Awesome Wander!
I am looking forward to having you join us on our trip via this blog, as we "seek
the sun" (our motorhome is called a Sunseeker🌝) in the Land of the Midnight Sun, praising the Son, our Creator, Sustainer, Provider, and Protector and Guide! #howgreatThouart! #Thensingsmysoul
~Until next time......MEBS
Oh Elaine....what an amazing story & testimony to our Lord Jesus and His continued care & watching over us! Your story brought tears to my eyes, and I am SO EXCITED to see what God has planned for you MEBS! :) Blessings to you as you go on this 6 week journey, and I look forward to being a part of your journey on the way!!! Many prayers for you all as you embark on this amazing adventure that you have dreamed about!! :)
ReplyDeleteWow, even though I heard this whole story from you before, it was SO interesting to read it all again. This is so exciting!!!
ReplyDelete