Monday, June 26, 2017

Thursday-June 22- Day 2-Indiana to Wisconsin

It took us awhile to get going this morning, as packing up to travel has not yet become routine.  But when we finally got going we drove to Middlebury's Rise 'n Roll  Bakery for breakfast. Really would not have had to buy any food because they had so many free samples.  But we did anyway! The chocolate covered cream-filled donut was delicious! ( today I didn't worry about the calories 😎)  AND it came with FREE coffee!  But the blessing of  "FREE" soon turned yucky when I got to the bottom of the cup and got a mouth full of coffee grounds! 
All the deliciousness!!

If we were back home we probably would not visit a place like this. But we are tourists now! And it was fun!


Our next stop, just down the road, was Heritage Ridge Creamery.

Here we  saw cheese being made.


FREE samples again!
There were many different kinds of cheese for sale.  We bought a pound of Guggisberg Smoked Swiss.
We then headed northwest toward Wisconsin. We stopped at a WalMart to pick up a few things. Steve's chair is so easy to get in and out with this very accommodating carrier, that was designed by Randy and fabricated by Colin Zimmerman!
All the driving caused a loose trim to come completely off. First on the passenger side, which we fixed along the road, then on the driver's side which we fixed in a Flying J parking lot. It must have been fixed right because it did not come off again!
Marie drove today. She did a great job of navigating around all the crazy traffic around Chicago!  But sad to say, she turned to drinking and driving! We had to put a stop to that!
We were glad to see this sign! We were making progress!
 At 5 PM we reached pur destination....Freeman and Marietta Yoders in Pardeeville, Wisconsin! Marietta and I have been pen pals for 54 years! We are also twins, born on the same day. The last time John and I were here was in 2000. They are Amish, so I do not have pictures of them. We sat up camp behind the house. We had water hook-up but we had to rely on the generator and batteries for electricity.
 But here is a picture of their sheep!  They don't mind having their picture taken!
 Isn't that a nice driving horse?  Her name is Betsy and she has Clydesdale, Paint, Hackney and standard bred in her. I know nothing about horses but I thought she was beautiful!
 Freeman has a bakery on the farm. That day he was just finishing up baking 138 loaves of banana nut bread and rhubarb bread!  He gave us a loaf of each. Delicious, of coarse!
 He also made cashew crunch that day. Ane we got a couple of boxes of that too! YUM!

 That evening after Marietta served a scrumptious supper, we sat around together outside the motor home.

 We also went to the barn to visit  the horses, and to see the new born colt that had just arrived the day before. And then it was time for bed!



1 comment:

  1. I see you've gotten ahead of me while I was camping!! Catching up now. We needed your RV this past weekend!! I'm glad you don't have to set up a tent each night along your way!

    ReplyDelete