Monday, June 26, 2017

Saturday-June 24-Day 4- More Miles under our Wheels

We said our good-byes to Freeman and Marietta before we went to bed last night, as they had plans to be picked up at 1 AM for a quick trip to Michigan for a viewing of one of Marietta's uncles.

We left there at 8 AM and headed up toward our next stop in Minnesota. It was a beautiful day to drive but a  rather uneventful day of travel, broken up with a stop at Dairy Queen for ice cream!







Beautiful wildflowers, although sparse, among the pines.


Lovely roadside


Superior, Wisconsin

 We arrived at Bob and Doris Stauffers at 5:45.  We have known Bob and Doris most of our lives.  Bob was John's neighbor boy growing up and Doris and I went to the same Christian Day School together in the 50's. Then we dated at the same time, did a lot of "doubling" (a term the younger set probably will not understand😀) were in Manheim Area Chorus together, announced our engagements just one day apart, and were in each others weddings. We both served in the north, under Northern Light Gospel Mission, so we have a long and wonderful history together!.
                                                                     
     Doris had a delicious meal of fresh fried walleye, mac 'n cheese, baked beans and salad!  What a treat!  Took me back to days in the north when walleye was a staple in our diet. I was so disappointed I had forgotten to take a picture of the fresh fried fish!
 After supper, Bob took us out to the honey room where he gave us samples  of the honey they raise and sell.....buckwheat, wildflower, canola, dandelion, and basswood. The canola was everyone's favorite!  


Of coarse we had to buy some to take home!  And Bob gave us a jar of maple syrup to take with us!  That will taste good on pancakes fried over an open fire!
As we were going to bed that night, it started to rain and we were again lulled to sleep by gentle raindrops falling above our heads.




1 comment:

  1. Now this post was a real treat!! I have never seen pictures of Bob's honey room. And I loved that picture of Doris and Bob. I see she still likes purple! That's the color that my bridesmaid dress was for their wedding!

    So I'm trying to figure out which day of the week each post is. You left Wednesday? So day four is Saturday?

    ReplyDelete