Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Friday, August 31, 2018

We are home almost 2 weeks already and I am still finishing up the blog!  Somehow, when I arrived home, catching up with real life took over. πŸ˜’ And because I am doing this mostly for our own benefit, to preserve our memories, I will finish it!  So here goes.....

Yesterday we were discussing our remaining days of our trip, and what we would do each day.  Since we still had not seen the western side of the island, we decided to stay one more day on PEI, leaving Saturday instead of Friday.


Today we are exploring
  the North Cape Coastal Drive, which is following the red lines on this map.
When I pulled up my camera to take my first picture this morning, 
I saw the discusting message " NO MEMORY CARD."
I had inadvertantly left it back at the motel in my laptop, after blogging last night!πŸ˜•
So todays pics are from my cell phone.
The first part of our scenic drive took us  on Route 11, along the southwestern part of the island.
Again today we basked in the beauty of God's creation!
As you see on the map, quite a bit of our driving was along the coast, so we saw lots of water.
We also saw farms, right along the ocean! 
Lush green hay fields contrasting with  deep blue ocean waters!

After driving for awhile came to the West Prince Visitor Information Center, 
where we decided to stop , stretch our legs, and get info on the potato museum.
When I signed the guest book for all of us, I saw familiar names!                     Robert and Lily were here yesterday!                                                                                                                                                            Canada has such a pretty flag! Especially when the                                                                                  colors are contrasted against the azure blue sky and                                            white puffy clouds!            

Did you know I LOVE road trips?  I never tire of this view!
The blue barn farm!
Here we saw an old under-ground potato barn on this our "Potato Day"

                                                           And more lovely little white churches!

These many little white churches we are seeing  remind me of that country gospel bluegrass  song:

🎝🎝There's a little white church in the valley,
that stands in my memory each day.
And it seems I can hear the bells now ringing
Though I am many miles away.🎜🎜
And many times in church on Sunday morning
The whole countryside would gather there.
They would all kneel down by the altar
As they lifted up their voice in prayer.🎜🎜

Chorus:
O, that church in the valley!🎜🎜
O that little white church, is the place I love so well!
Now I'm sad and lonely, yes, I'm sad and lonely
For that little white church in the dell.🎜🎜

They would sing that old song "Rock of Ages",
Then, let me hide myself in Thee.
And I know some of them are now waiting🎜🎜
 Just over the dark and stormy sea.
                                                                                I know their troubles have all ended,
                                                                                And happy forever they shall be.
                                                                               They are waiting and watching up yonder
                                                                               For the coming home of you and me.🎝🎝🎝

How do you like this for tree decorations??


And then we arrived at The Canadian Potato Museum in O'Leary.
We were guided through the museum by little piles of potatoes, and  bowls of french fries, in the flooring.  The center picture shows some of the early primitive methods of digging potatoes.

Margie explains how this digging machine worked, from experience!  
Her dad raised potatoes to sell and she has vivid memories of working on this machine !
The potatoes are bagged under different labels. 
But there was a sense of pride in their PEI potatoes, and rightfully so!
It is their major crop!
There was one wall that had all the different diseases that can affect the potatoes.
Under the description of each was a tiny coffin, with a potato in it that had that specific disease,
The museum was very interesting, but we did it in about a half hour.
Our noses and taste buds were set on  the kitchen!
Everything Potato!
How do you like this sign?
This day we were forgetting about exercise and focusing on extra fries!

The cooks aprons were covered with potatoes!
And, yes! Those baskets are "extra fries" !!
Each basket is ONE order!


We each ordered a baked potato, and got one order of fries to share!
Picture worthy food!  And see the baked potato? They were served with potato chips!
And it all was so very delicious! But we had enough potatoes to last us several weeks!
With our tummy's filled to the gills, we headed on our way on the North Cape Coastal drive.
We passed this tractor and machinery, but couldn't figure out what it was for.
So I took a picture, hoping to ask a farmer somewhere along the way.
But we never did. So we still do not know.

We passed several lumber mills along the way.
The western most point on PEI is West Cape. Just next to that is Cedar Dunes Provincial Park.
There we saw a litter of fox kits, playing alongside the boardwalk.
And then one of them started walking toward us!
We learned that people have been feeding them, which is why they are not afraid of people.
But we had no food, so he turned around and walked back to the his siblings.
We walked down the boardwalk the opposite way from the kits, to see this beautiful lighthouse!

West Point Lighthouse.
The tallest on the island at 67 feet, built in 1875.
In 1984 this lighthouse began a second career as a lighthouse museum, 
country inn, restaurant, and gift shop.
Wish I had known on ahead. We could have slept in a lighthouse!
As we walked back to our car, the forrest floor caught my eye.
Looked like a giant winter garden!
As we continued north along the coast, we saw dozens, maybe hundreds (we didn't count) 
of these wind turbines.
We discovered that each tower has a door, with a stairs leading up to it.

I think this picture is so unique! In the foreground, along the road, is a cemetery. Behind that is a wheat field which was being harvested, and behind that was the ocean!
It looks so strange to see farm fields right along the ocean cliffs.


I had been wanting to buy some PEI Potatoes to take home. 
We saw many veggie stands at farms, earlier in the week. 
But I wanted to wait until we were ready to leave the island to purchase them.
And then we found this cute little roadside stand!


And I got my potatoes!!

What a happy field of sunflowers!
The color on this pic is not true. I took this to show the red dirt that makes up so much of PEI.


At the very northernmost tip of our drive today, as well as the northernmost tip on  PEI,
 is North Cape. 


This is the Interpretive Center 
and the Wind Energy Institute of Canada.
This area also includes a commercial wind farm and the Atlantic Wind Test facility.
Yes, it was very windy!
This is the 1866 North Cape Lighthouse.

We walked down to the water on the rocky beach. Gentle waves were rolling in.




Continuing south:Do you think these bikes are for rent? Or just for decoration? We wondered.
Not sure what these lines in the water are for.  Saw them at different places.
Perhaps they have something to do with traps or fishing.
We had driven close to 200 miles today and we were tired.
We also were still full, (well, at least not yet hungry for supper) after our potato lunch!
Potatoes really stick to the ribs!
So we stopped in Summerside for a light Subway salad supper
before heading back to Cornwall for our 4th and last night on PEI.


No comments:

Post a Comment