Monday, August 27, 2018

Thursday August 23, 2018

We were back at Fletchers for breakfast a few minutes before they opened at 7 AM, and were their first customers! After another good meal we retraced our steps ( I guess that would be "drive"๐Ÿ˜Š) back to Halifax then headed towards Peggy's Cove. We stopped at this way-side market and picked up some fresh fruit! Pears and plums! Yum!
 Although we had been told it would be sunny today, it was again overcast and sprinkled a bit.  I was disappointed, because Peggy's Cove was my long-anticipated destination and I knew sun shine would make it even more beautiful! So again I prayed....."Lord, please give us sunshine for Peggy's Cove!, if it is Your will! "
As we drove the the skies slowly began to brighten! 
The road was curvy and hilly, and around every bend was another unique and beautiful scene...






                    Until we arrived at Peggy's Cove!         

The little village is so very unique!  And so very picturesque!
I took so many pictures and narrowed it down to these few to share!  Enjoy!






And then we walked out to the lighthouse!  
The rocks!  The water!  The pounding waves!  The splashing foam!
Indescrible Beauty!
And all created by our Lord for our enjoyment!
Along with warm sunshine....an answer to prayer!

The view of the shoreline as we looked back toward the village.

It was a gorgeous day to be at Peggy's Cove!


This dear senior lady was playing and singing. 
She sang some hymns and some folk songs.  I told her we would sing with her if she sang some hymns that we knew.  So we had a little hymnsing right there at the base of the lighthouse! 
She carried the melody, I sang alto, Margie sang high tenor. It didn't sound too bad!๐Ÿ˜Š
๐ŸŽAmazing Grace๐ŸŽœThe Old Rugged Cross๐ŸŽœI saw the Light ๐ŸŽœ
Those three songs pretty much sum up the plan of salvation!
A crowd gathered around to listen. Several threw in a five dollar bill for her. 
I prayed for those who heard, who did not know Jesus.
We were blessed and I know she was too.


Inside the gift shop this gentleman was delivering these huge lobsters to the restaurant.
Marie found a man! ๐Ÿ˜

We decided to try a lobster roll for lunch. It is pieces of lobster on a soft toasted roll, with lettuce.
It was delicious! 


For dessert we stopped by Dee Dee's and got ice cream cones!
Mine was Nova Scotia Mixed Berry...strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries!
Scrumptious!
And a perfect ending to our time at Peggy's Cove!

As we journeyed on our way, we passed more breath-taking scenery!
These pics are just samples of the ocean views, and the rock outcroppings.
Our afternoon destination was Lunenburg, on the south shore of Nova Scotia.
This unique town was planned and developed by the British in 1753,
 as their first colonial settlement in Canada.
It was settled by Europeans, particularly German and Swiss.
It is known for it's unique architecture and civic design.

The town is build on a hill that slopes down to the  Mahone Bay,
right off the Atlantic Ocean.


It has many brightly colored buildings.

We saw this carriage  going down the street and decided to take a ride!
It was a very educational and enjoyable tour, all about Lunenburg!
All loaded up and ready to roll!
 It is a very colorful town!  
Below are a few samples of the many brightly painted houses.
They all have a story.
The house below is known as the wedding cake house.
The "bumps" on the front of the houses denoted wealth. 
The more and bigger the "bumps" the wealthier the home owner!


This home is on a corner.  
The home owner wanted to make sure no carriage would slide into his house 
when it turned the corner, especially on snowy or icy streets.
So he buried a full canon, leaving only the "gun" part exposed. It worked!
We saw lots of beautiful hydrangeas all around the province. 
These ones graced this unique lavender colored  house!

After the tour, I wanted a picture with the horse named "Buddy", just like my cat back home!๐Ÿ˜Š
He turned to give me a "hug" and caught me by surprise! 
I am not used to such close contact with a horse!
Barb just happened to catch this moment!

We toured this sailing war ship.
Years ago the people of Lunenburg were called "Bluenoses".  It was because the women used blueberries to dye the wool to make mittens.  When the people wipes their runny noses with their mittens, it made their noses blue.
Years later this special fighting sailing ship was designed and made in Lunenburg.  It was named "Bluenose" after the nickname for the people of the town.
"Bluenose I" is long gone, but "Bluenose II" just happened to be docked at Lunenburg while we were there.  It is soon sailing to Boston where it will be in harbor there for a time.

It was a long day, and we  were ready to re-fuel. 
We found dinner at this restaurant with a view of the harbor.
And then we found our physical rest at the Wheelhouse Motel,
right there in Lunenburg. Good-night!



2 comments:

  1. Now that was a good day!! I loved all of it! Some of the houses remind me of Sweden. I remember lots of dark yellow and dark red houses there. LOVE the scenes from the shore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a loverly place!!!! So gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete